Friday, December 2, 2016

The Lippert Axle Issue


The Lippert Axle Issue

So, I know this was supposed to be posted previously, but the beginning of our trip got in the way.  So, to catch you up, here is a little post about how Lippert Components, Inc. has a problem in their manufacturing process regarding the axles they produce.

As I had mentioned in the GD Nor Cal Owners Rally post, I discovered that our axles might be some of the ones with too much grease in the hub that could migrate to the brakes, and we were going to have to take the trailer in for service/inspection.  I had made an appointment at Vintage Transport in Placerville to have the axle bearings repacked, but when they opened up the hubs they found all the brakes covered in grease.








The Grand Design warranty person I’d talked to said to replace all brake assemblies if even one of them had shown any grease, so I had Vintage Transport replace all the way around.  And I upgraded to self-adjusting brakes.  (The OEM brakes were not self-adjusters).

The bill totaled $948.00 which I submitted to GD and received a check in 8 days. 

It’s been more than 400 miles on those new brakes and I feel they are now seated well and working correctly.

For the record, I’d like to mention that even though we’ve had the brake issue, a window leak, shower leak, the body molding repair, this is still the greatest rolling earthquake on the road.  We are totally happy with our Grand Design 5th Wheel.  And I know it’s because of the service we’ve gotten from GD that makes the difference.  If I’d had even the slightest push back from them on anything, I’d have a totally different opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment